Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about Wages

Questions about Filing a Complaint?

Questions about Wages

What is the minimum wage?

The current minimum wage in Maryland is $15.00 per hour. You can read more about the minimum wage by visiting the page Wages or by reading the minimum wage law found on the Law page.

What is the living wage?

The established living wage within the City of Baltimore is $13.33 per hour. Businesses and contractors must note that adherence to state-mandated wage laws is also a compulsory requirement.

What is the prevailing wage?

The City of Baltimore's prevailing wage rates are determined annually by the Board of Commissions. These rates are mandatory for all contractors and subcontractors engaged in construction projects financed by the city. You can look up a specific prevailing salary by visiting the Wages page or learn more about the prevailing wage law by visiting the Law page.

What is the wage for tipped employees?

The minimum wage for tipped employees is $3.63 per hour. You can read more about the wage for tipped employees by visiting the page Wages.

How is overtime pay calculated?

Overtime compensation is generally calculated at 1.5 times the regular hourly wage. Employees are entitled to this overtime rate for hours worked more than 40 in a workweek. However, this does not apply to employees working on Baltimore City construction projects funded by the city or to those covered under the prevailing wage provisions.

Overtime pay for employees working under the prevailing wage is calculated differently: after 8 hours of work in a single day, for all hours worked on Saturdays and Sundays, and on official Baltimore City holidays for city-funded construction projects.

Questions about Filing a Complaint

How do I file a complaint?

 You can contact the Wage Commission directly if you want to file a complaint. You can also start filing a complaint here on the File a Complaint Online page.

What if I'm not sure about the wage I should be making?

If you are unsure about what wage you should be making or are owed a different wage, you can receive guidance and information from a Compliance Officer of the Wage Commission. To contact a compliance officer with a question, visit the page Contact Us.

What will happen if I file a complaint?

If you want to know more about the procedure followed when you file a complaint, you can read about it on the  Complaint Procedure page.