Mayor's Commission on Disabilities
The Mayor's Commission on Disabilities was created by the City of Baltimore Ordinance #93-237.
The mission of the Mayor’s Commission on Disabilities is to:
Work to remove barriers and promote equal rights and opportunities for individuals with disabilities.
The purpose of the Mayor’s Commission on Disabilities is to:
- Assist the City with the accessibility of city facilities, programs, employment opportunities, and services for residents with disabilities.
- Assist the City in complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
- Assist the City in providing information and educational programs for City government, businesses, and industries regarding reasonable accommodations for employment and other issues concerning persons with disabilities.
- Assist the City with ensuring the implementation of the City’s Master Plan for Accessibility and Universal Design.
Comprised of 23-voting members and 12 non-voting members. The Mayor appoints the voting members for terms of up to four years.
- 9 members: persons with disabilities not employed in the field of disabilities.
- 3 members: family members of persons with disabilities.
- 9 members: representatives of business, industry, and community organizations.
- 1 member: Mayor's representative.
- 1 member: City Council representative.
- 12 members: representatives of Baltimore City agencies.
City Agencies Represented on the Commission
- Baltimore City Health Department
- Baltimore City Public School System
- Baltimore Office of Promotion and the Arts
- Commission on Aging & Retirement Education
- Community Relations Commission
- Department of Housing and Community Development
- Department of Human Resources
- Department of Planning
- Department of Public Works
- Department of Transportation
- Department of Recreation & Parks
- Law Department
- Mayor's Office of Employment Development
- Police Department
- Department of Social Services
- Enoch Pratt Free Library
- Department of General Services
Draft - By-Laws - MCD Draft Bylaws 10212020
Aloma Bouma (Chair)
Kimberly Michelle Grade